Tuesday, May 20, 2014

On my own grief, observed

“Grief is like a long valley, a winding valley 
where any bend may reveal a totally new landscape.” 
~ C.S. Lewis, A Grief Observed


This is how it happens, so suddenly, so unexpectedly: 

A scene in a TV show reminds me of a funny moment from childhood, a story that features my dad. I tell it. We laugh. "I can just hear your dad saying that," hubs remarks. 

I chuckle. "Yeah... " I start to muse, "he was..." 

Chest tightens. Throat closes. Words fail. For the next hour or two I'm lost in bittersweet memories, sorrow spilling down my cheeks, my heart once again in a million little pieces. 

Melancholy dreams fill my night. Tears stain my pillow. Morning brings puffy eyes, a swollen face, and a heaviness in my soul, as if I'm hearing the news again for the first time.

No comments: