Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Mulligan

Ummm... can I have a do-over, please?

I created this blog several months ago, because I was just overflowing with profound and witty things to say that I was sure folks were just dying to read.

Right.

Truth is, people might have read my posts... if I'd made any.

(By "people," I mean my parents, my husband, and a few long-suffering friends.)

Somehow, my most eloquent thoughts occur at the most inopportune times, say, when I'm in the shower, or driving the kids to school. I think to myself, "Wow, that is a nicely-turned phrase, you oughtta write that down and post it on your blog!"

Problem is, by time I'm back at my desk, all those Pulitzer Prize-worthy thoughts and ideas are simply... gone. Poof. Outta my head like the names of all the state capitals I learned in fourth grade.

I also struggled with determining a "theme" for this blog. My friend, Dean Lusk, has a great blog on the church and culture. Which makes a lot of sense, seeing as how he is a worship leader.

Our family recently began a "Total Money Makeover" (TMMO for short), based on the precepts of Dave Ramsey. We joined the TMMO community, where I've discovered several great blogs people have created to chart their journey to financial peace, like this one, and this one, and this one.

I've seen some fabulous "mom blog" sites, one of the best among them Rocks in My Dryer.

These are all great ideas, because I could probably write at length about any one of these topics -- worship, money, family -- along with many other areas (faith, creative arts, current events, marriage, drama, pop culture...) in which I'm interested. How could I possibly narrow it down to just one topic?

Yeah, I can't. So I won't. Narrow it down, that is. This blog will be a "mixed bag," if you will, of thoughts and ideas on any number of topics. Like Forrest Gump's box of chocolates...

You just never know what you'll get.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed your blog. Can identify with the good intentions and with the "perfect thoughts" that occur in the shower, but can't be recaptured when you get to where you can write them down.

Tony M said...

I, too, enjoyed reading the few posts here. I, too, wondered what I would ever post about on my own blog, but somehow it's rather full now. And I definitely didn't try to figure out a topic for my blog... which may be bad for those who read it. Then again, if you don't like the topic of the current post, just wait a day or two.

As far as capturing the witty thoughts... maybe install an e-mail terminal in your shower (a waterproof one), so you can e-mail your profundities to your Blog. And set up your blog to receive MMS messages so you can blog from your car in the drop-off lane (you wouldn't want to drive and text now, would you?).

Pulitzer... I wonder, is there a Pulitzer for Blogs?

Hence said...

"Somehow, my most eloquent thoughts occur at the most inopportune times, say, when I'm in the shower...Problem is, by time I'm back at my desk, all those Pulitzer Prize-worthy thoughts and ideas are simply... gone."

Oh, yes!! I do that all the time, especially in the shower. My husband got me a stuck-on notepad for when I drive, to jot the notes that occurred to me then. I don't have it anymore, but it still happens...

You don't need a theme. My blog is all over the place.

Hence said...

Not that just cuz mine is means anything....other than there's at least one out there who never even considered the possibility of needing a topic or theme.